This project centred on the conversion of a former hotel into a bespoke school for children with social, emotional and mental health difficulties. The existing building had seen many changes and extensions over the years, in the early years it was a single dwelling and then became a 90 bed hotel that included a full restaurant, sauna, gym, spa and swimming pools.
This scheme had many challenges to overcome that were centred on the initial build and previous extensions. Most of this was resolved within the existing timeframes as a result of strong existing relationships between the client, Jessops and design team.
The works included:-
• A new teaching area that achieved Ofsted standard.
• Accommodation blocks for staff and children.
• New commercial and teaching kitchens.
• A completely new mechanical and electrical system.
• Biomass plant installation with an oil fire back up system.
• Tanking membrane system
• Rock anchoring to secure an unstable rock face.
• Extensive land drainage
• Reconstruction of a failed retain walls in natural stone
• Refurbishment of the carpark
It was important that this project completed on time for the new academic year,
Kyanite Properties Ltd
Form of contract:
JCT Prime Cost Building Contract 2011